We are starting to get into the method. Be patient and consider it as a way for us to communicate. Please trust the method for the moment. Use it as a framework work exploring your individual ideas.
Tomorrow please be posted with an image for each slide (no Powerpoint necessary) as a post title with your two-word title, by 7pm. Try to do everything even if some are quick watercolor/ink washes- I have ink and my brushes here in the work room.
Think of one highlight color with a range of hues/tones. Repeat ideas/words from your title and thesis sentences as an outline for the project.
22@ Attachment, Project One Presentation Outline:
– Title, two-words, Affect + Context
– Thesis Paragraph, with highlighted words: purpose/affect (attached to existing culture)/material affect
1) Purpose concisely definition of the affect to enhance an existing external condition at the site, who it affects and why it is important
2) Affect attaching to cultural identity scenarios: conditions of your affect that you will highlight and support;
3) Material assembly variations as architectural strategies to provide a structure/framework for the desired affects. Think about living/working in 22@. Use the 22@ website for information. You may review the questions and writing in the Field Book for guidance.
– District plan, locating neighborhood and major external forces (group work)
(major axis .25, neighborhood blocks .15, outline district .05)
– Neighborhood plan, locating urban rooms and major external forces, (group work)
(open space + sidewalks .25 (wall), walls of affected buildings .15 (curbs),
– Urban Room (Site Plan), chose a focus area, based on 22@ plan and real site research, (group work)
(walls .25, curbs (change of plane) .15, urban furniture .05)
– Uses map, via 22@ plans: over neighborhood plan, highlight the open space, (group work)
- Residential use (Habitatge): protected and used
- Office use (Activitats)
- Services (7@ Equipaments)
- Protected Buildings (Edificis industrials consolidats): protected and non-protects, modernista residential, factory, and chimney
– External forces over time: Identify, map and diagram existing patterns (Latours idea of attachment, Ned Kahn’s identifying wind…) (may be group work)
- Natural (wind, light, solar gain, native vegetation, native animals) and
- Anthropological (maritime metropolis farming and fishing use, modernista industries of manufacturing, textiles, **current cultural events in Catalunya, Barcelona and Poblenou including cerdanya dance, food culture, calcots, San Joan, coscheza harvest, Temps de les Flors de Girona, Primavera Sound, SONAR, IT culture, other)
- 3 Contextual Images of Catalan, Barcelona, Poblenou local culture.
- this is important RESEARCH like that done by BIG and OMA Rem Koolhaas. Include hear any bar or pie charts explaining research for the context or concept of the project. How is the PROBLEM going to lead to a specific solution for the zone. RESEARCH!! Analysis. Can be more than one slide.
– 1-2 conceptual images (take ownership of image but these explore the AFFECT. these should be worked / abstracted, Name these in a word).
– 1-2 contextual images (Barcelona/Catalan culture. place. Name these)
– Catalog of Scenarios of the conditions of your affect (usually verbs ending in ‘ing’): name 3-4; Specific name of EVENT (Tschumi) over day, week or year. This will lead to your generative diagram for your project!
– Timeline collage/diagram: time callibration of patterns of above research; plan; and texture (across day, week, seasons of year, year, decade)
– ** GENERATIVE DIAGRAM, this is starting to organize the time, conditions of affect, quality. Ida’s circlular Sound Attenuation diagram and Anton’s fresh foods light display.
Team Red, studio Speranza, NJIT 2011
– MATERIAL RESEARCH+UNIT: show a sample of the raw material and a unit of your project (you have no idea how many times the real image of the material is missing from presentations!) The material should support your AFFECT. Show three conditions of the effect. Name them. What is the operation (Rhino operation of move, rotate, scale, etc) of the assembly of the material to support your three conditions/scenarios of affect?
– Ordering System: thumbnail plan diagrams of ordering system, use, shadow, etc, perspectives, materials, and cultural symbols. name organizational systems/patterns. Organizational systems will lead from the Stan Allen readings/drawings. Hand drawn in ink/watercolored: organizational system- bands, strips, islands, mats, pathways (see Points+Lines) you may have multiple ones. (may be in watercolor) 30 second drawings (Vicky’s example . This should attach to an existing ordering system / or compliment one at the site.
Click here for the Field Conditions chapter of Points + Lines by Stan Allen
– Comparative Site: select a space/neighborhood in Barcelona of similar conditions
– Scenario Perspective: 1-3, making me EXPERIENCE the AFFECT. Trippy (Nouvel, So-il, RCR, Holl) moody, abstract, dark or light, activities of people to highlight the idea, lines, subtle materiality highlighted. AFFECT. People. FRAMEWORK FOR PARTICIPATION.
-**Urban Room SITE PLAN (if time permits, done with site partner if desired): zoom in to one space as a unit of your network system. Framework. beautiful plan describing subtle landscape architecture features that we have noticed (like our 60 sec. timed drawings): wall of urban room, edges of pedestrain and vehicular circulation, ordering / secondary ordering via urban furniture, light fixtures, trees (cut at 3′ above ground level), paving texture.
HAVE FUN. Explore graphics. PUSH. steal methods. Bounce between the types of drawings. Talk to your site partner!!! help each other SEE. Ask them, “what do you see?” without telling them what to look for. This is a way to design a framework for participation (people). You are only designing the 50% material interface of it and the people / existing external forces make up the other 50% of the ‘design’ but you predict that 50% and calibrate the first 50% to the second 50% (Ned Kahn idea).